Dieting Tips to Get You Through the Holidays!
December holidays are just around the corner and so are all those extra calories from candy, cookies and Christmas parties. As you already know all those extra calories add up throughout the holiday season. If you’re like most Americans, you’ll put on about 10 pounds by New Year’s Day. However, out of that 10 pounds, most of us only put on about a pound or two of actual body fat. Seems harmless, right? Well not exactly. According to the latest research at the National Institutes of Health, most Americans never lose the extra body fat that they gain during the winter holidays. Over time the extra pounds add up making holiday weight gain an important factor in adult obesity. It goes without saying that you don’t have to fall into the holiday weight gain cycle. It is possible to enjoy holiday goodies without gaining too much excess body fat. Here are a few dieting tips to get you through the holidays without gaining too much weight.
1. Portion Control! Portion control is most important factor in not gaining excess body fat during the holidays. Simply put, don’t overdo it. Enjoy the foods you like but do so in moderation.
2. Choose Your Food Wisely! Research suggests that you’ll consume the largest quantity of the foods you eat first, so set yourself up for success by starting with something healthy and or low-calorie.
3. Downsize Your Plate! If you have the option, go for a smaller plate when you’re eating at holiday functions. Downsize your plate to trick your brain into thinking you are eating more.
4. Nibble and Sip! Take smaller sips and bites to trick your brain into eating 30 percent fewer calories! Studies find that when you take nibbles, chew your food longer and eat slower, your brain thinks you’ve eaten more.
5. Never Arrive Hungry! Planning ahead can help you maintain discipline in the face of temptation. Don’t go to a party starving.
6. Bring Your Own Treats. Whether you’re going to a friend’s party or an office potluck, consider bringing a low-calorie treat that you know you’ll enjoy. Bringing your own dessert will make the more fattening alternatives less tempting.
7. Track Your Weight Daily! Weigh yourself daily and use that number to guide your actions! Research has shown that people who step on the scale every day and then act accordingly, either increasing their exercise or being stricter about their eating, are 82 percent less likely to regain lost weight than those who don’t weigh in as often.
You can expect Survival of The Fittest Health and Wellness to go above and beyond to help you reach your goals in 2017. We will provide you with the knowledge, accountability and motivation that you need to get results as quickly as possible.
If you are interested in more information, please visit www.sofhealthandwellness.com or you can reach me directly at 661-713-7576 or James@sofhealthandwellness.com.
ADVERTISE WITH US
The weather is nothing short of perfection here in the Santa Clarita Valley, especially at this time of year. With the arrival of spring, our warm days and beautiful evenings continue, with a multitude of exciting events to attend! As you can see on our cover, we have...read more
Kick-off spring this year at the 6th Annual SCV Charity Chili Cook-off to benefit the WiSH Education Foundation. This year’s event begins at 6 p.m. on March 20th and will be held at Wolf Creek Brewery – 25108 Rye Canyon Loop, Valencia. Attendees will enjoy tasty...read more
LUNAFEST®, A Festival of Short Films By, For and About Women Presented by Zonta Club of Santa Clarita Valley coming to Canyon Theater Guild
Zonta Club of Santa Clarita Valley (SCV) is again showcasing the work of talented women directors from all over the world. This 8th annual LUNAFEST 2018 film festival – a series of nine short films by, for, and about women - will be screened May 3, from 6 p.m. to 9...read more
ABOUT THE MAGAZINE
The Magazine of Santa Clarita has set a high standard for excellence in advertising for over 25 years. A family owned and operated business, The Magazine of Santa Clarita has grown with the Santa Clarita Valley since 1989 and become the #1 place to advertise locally.
SANTA CLARITA MAGAZINE