On Friday, May 6, community members, friends and family gathered around in the beautiful Grand Ballroom of the Hyatt Regency Valencia as the new 2011 Santa Clarita Valley Man and Woman of the Year were announced. Congratulations to Candy Spahr who was nominated by the American Cancer Society and Harry Bell, nominated by Rotary Club of Santa Clarita Valley as they were named Man and Woman of the Year.
Candy’s dedication to the American Cancer Society is noteworthy. Her leadership and resourceful fundraising abilities helps make ACS events a success. She is a strong and devoted advocate for cancer survivors and her volunteer work with the organization is amazing.
Harry has been involved with the SCV Rotary Club for 48 years and has also served on the formation committee for HMNMH. He is also a Mason 32nd Degree, an Elk and a Shriner and has spent many years volunteering at the Children’s Hospital. His contribution to our community is commendable.
Other nominees for 2011 included Juie Benson, Michael Hoefflin Foundation for Children’s Cancer; Erica Betz, SCV Committee on Aging; Sue Endress, Rotary of SCV; Cheryl Gray, Zonta of the SCV, Shelly Hahn, Henry Mayo Newhall Memorial Hospital; Kris Hough, Santa Clarita Facilities Foundation; Anna Ott, SCV Boys & Girls Club; Mary Lina Schultz, Friends of Hart Park; Barbara Wampole, Santa Clarita Organization for Planning the Environment; Tom Dierkman, SCV Boys & Girls Club Foundation; Rick Patterson, Santa Clarita Facilities Foundation/SCV Senior Center; Mike Quick, Carousel Ranch; Ray Schultz, Friends of Hart Park; Steve Sturgeon, SCV Child and Family Center Foundation; and Leon Worden, SCV Historical Society.
For more information on the SCV Man and Woman of the Year, visit www.scvmanandwomanoftheyear.com.
photo by Gary Choppé
Right Side AD
Articles - This Issue
- A Note from The Publishers - June 2011
- Honoring SCV's Man and Woman of the Year
- Flashback to the 80's with the Boys & Girls Club -Our Cover Story
- Enjoying Meals and Wheels!
- DSB to Rock Private Show for The REP
- Going All in For a Great Cause
- The Santa Clarita Ballet Presents Alice in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass
- The SC Ballet Company Dances Outside the Box
- Opportunities in Career Training Featuring Administrative Medical Assistant
- ACS Legacy of Hope Gala Save the Date, August 14