Our cover this issue features Top Row (L-R) Aline Jirka, Executive Director of the Boys & Girls Club SCV Jim Ventress, Ginno Campaña, Beth Culhane; Middle Row (L-R) Lindsey Newhall, Talia Einaudi, Auction Co-Chair Reena Newhall; Front Row Cade Culhane.
Get ready for a totally awesome 80’s auction on Saturday June 4! Step back in time at what promises to be the community’s Social Event of the Season-the 40th Annual Boys & Girls Club “Thriller Auction-A Flashback to the 80’s.” Relive the old, and sport the trendy hi top fade, big hair and perms, shoulder pads, jean jackets and leg warmers, all to raise money for a great cause.
The Auction will be held in a new 65,000 square foot indoor location, at 27420 Avenue Scott in the Valencia Industrial Center, ample room to accommodate the more than 1,000 expected guests. Get ready for a fun evening including cocktails, a delicious dinner and exciting entertainment. There will be a live and silent auction with more than 400 items to bid on, including Princess Cruises, precious jewelry, vacation homes and condominiums, art and collectibles, and exciting items donated by local businesses.
Now in its 40th year, the Auction will be chaired by Reena and Tony Newhall. Reena and Tony served as the Auctions first chair in 1972! “This Auction is a very important occasion for the Boys & Girls Club,” states Tony. “This one event provides one-third of the Club’s annual operating budget.”
The Club’s first Auction in 1972, the Auction of Thrills was held in a motel banquet room, which no longer exists. It attracted 225 people and raised $4500 for the Club. “We thought it was a windfall!” states Tony. The Auction grew steadily through the ’70s, ’80s and ’90s, and is expected to net $300,000 this year.
“Our ’80s Thriller theme will be a show in itself,” states Reena. “We’re inviting everyone to dress up in ’80s attire and to come celebrate the spirit, music, fashion and dance of that great decade!” Reena said she would be teaching ’80s dances before the event, including the “Electric Slide”, so that guests will be able to strut their stuff that evening.
“Remember,” states Reena, “Your attendance at this Auction will contribute to the future of 2,500 local kids who will be the beneficiaries of this great event. So make plans to attend – and have a “totally awesome time!”
Tickets, tables and dance class info are available through the SCV Boys & Girls Club, 661-254-3063. Doors will open at 5 p.m. and bidding will begin on silent auction bidboards, followed by dinner at 6 p.m., entertainment at 7 p.m., and then the Live Auction.
For more information, visit the Boys & Girls Club website at www.scvbgc.org.
Here’s a Sampling of the Fabulous Auction Items You Will Find At this Year’s Auction
• Stanley Cup Champion Mark Messier Signed Hockey Stick
• Orlando Vacation Getaway- airfare for 2, 5 nights stay Grand Cypress Hyatt & 2 day 2 park passes for 4 to Universal Orlando & Harry Potters
World of Wizardry
• Private Suite for 12 people for 2011-2012 Laker Game
• Diamond Hoop earrings
• Sáde & John Legend Concert VIP tickets with limousine
• Autographed Reggie Jackson baseball bat
• Remington Bronze sculpture- Woolly Chaps
• Eric Roller Coaster connoisseur- 25 people after hours at magic mountain with Dinner first then roller coasters all to your selves!
• Santa Barbara beach
• ADVANCED private screening of Harry Potter- the night before it opens to the public!
• First to Ride the Green
Lantern on public opening day
• 5 nights @ The Four Seasons in Sydney Australia as the guest of director Baz Luhrman and guest on the set of his new movie The Great Gatsby- meet and greet and maybe even lunch with the stars, Leo Di Caprio, Toby McGuire and Isla Fischer. Airfare included
• 14 day Hawaiian Islands cruise aboard Princess Cruises
• Taylor Swift autographed guitar, concert tickets and limousine ride to and from
• College planning package
• $ 5,000 in Ashley
• Kauai week vacation get away
• Dodger Dugout Club
• Blake Griffin Signed Jersey
• Whirlpool bath tub
• Full size arcade game
• Favre & Starr autographed Green Bay Packers Helmet
• Private dinner party for
25 in your home
Need A Video For Your Business?
Articles - This Issue
- A Note from The Publishers - June 2011
- Honoring SCV's Man and Woman of the Year
- Flashback to the 80's with the Boys & Girls Club -Our Cover Story
- Enjoying Meals and Wheels!
- DSB to Rock Private Show for The REP
- Going All in For a Great Cause
- The Santa Clarita Ballet Presents Alice in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass
- The SC Ballet Company Dances Outside the Box
- Opportunities in Career Training Featuring Administrative Medical Assistant
- ACS Legacy of Hope Gala Save the Date, August 14