The Santa Clarita Valley Chamber of Commerce will be honoring Nicholas Flores on August 4, at a Chamber lunch at the beautiful Hyatt Regency. College of the Canyons student, Nicholas is the first recipient of the Ian Gelig Desert/Storm/Operation Enduring Freedom Warrior scholarship. He served our country in the war on terror with the First Marine Division in Iraq, and displays characteristics of true patriotism, leadership and courage.
Nicholas received the National Defense Service Medal, Global War on Terrorism Service Medal, Iraqi Campaign Medal, Sea Service Deployment Ribbon and Good Conduct Medal while serving as an enlisted Fleet Marine Force Warfare Specialist. He also maintained a 3.85 grade point average. Nicholas’ future plans are to continue his education at College of the Canyons, and then transferring to UCLA in the fall of 2012 to pursue a Bachelor of Arts degree in Political Science. He would like to become an officer in the United States Navy and attend SEAL training in Coronado.
The Ian Gelic Scholarship Program was formed in honor of fallen veteran Sergeant Ian T.D. Gelig. Sgt. Gelig was an Army paratrooper who was killed in Afghanistan in March of 2010. Launched by the SCV Chamber of Commerce in May of 2011, the scholarship program is focused on those who are attending or plan on attending an accredited institute of higher education in the Southern California area. It is designed to honor all SCV veterans by providing financial support to veterans and immediate family members who are pursuing higher education.
Applications for the 2012 scholarships will be available in November, 2011.
For more information on the SCV Chamber of Commerce Ian Gelig Scholarship Program, call the Chamber office at 661-702-6977.
Need A Video For Your Business?
Articles - This Issue
- Imagine…More Birthdays! American Cancer Society Gala Celebrates Life - Our Cover Story
- A Note from The Publishers - August 2011
- SIGSCV Proudly Presents the 4th Annual Wine Affair
- Artist Georgette Arison at the Canyon Theatre Guild
- Remember, Honor and Celebrate Arts Groups to Commemorate 9-11
- The 81 Series Continues at The REP with The Boys Next Door
- ‘Reggae Sunsplash’ Bringing Love to LARC Ranch September 18 Fundraiser Features Live Music from See Spot
- Nicholas Flores Receives the First Ian Gelig Memorial Scholarship
- Dr. Dianne G. Van Hook University Center at College of the Canyons to Hold September 2011 Open House
- The Music Man and Always…Patsy Cline Open the SCRT/CTG 2011-2012 Season!