Our soldiers risk their lives on a daily basis just to protect the very freedoms we enjoy today. They have to make long journeys, often far from their families for months and months at a time. Having many friends who are enlisted and have spent time in foreign lands, I understand the hardship of deployment, both on the family as well as the soldiers.
While serving overseas, there’s nothing more encouraging than to receive a gift from home…whether it’s a love letter, photo or goodies, the thought travels a long way.
During the cold weather, it is especially nice to receive a blanket, to keep warm during the winter months.
Warm Wishes From Home, formed by Santa Clarita resident Sharon Ventrice, began last year and was a hit. Michele Avignone, Suzie and Sharon Ventrice spent the day after Thanksgiving, known as Black Friday, buying more than 32 blankets worth of fleece. “Michele arranged the two blanket making session at her Belcaro Clubhouse and about 20 -25 folks came out to help,” states Sharon. “We sent about 45 blankets before Christmas and I sent another eight blankets a few weeks back.” They were replying to a plea from Chaplain Xuan Tran, 1st Air Cavalry Brigade, Camp Marmal, Afghanistan, who requested the blankets. Chaplain Tran’s letter read, “Soldiers like the blankets very much; especially during this cold weather and there are about three more months to go. I have a long list of who are requesting to receive your blankets.”
While at the post office mailing the blankets, Sharon met the mother of a young man in the Army, 101st Airborne, stationed at Ft. Campbell, Kentucky. “She gave me the names and addresses of three of his friends currently serving in Afghanistan,” states Sharon. “The three blankets have since been shipped out.”
Sharon is still looking for help to get a few dozen blankets out. She is asking for the help of the community. Please show your support for those who have so graciously served our country, often risking their lives for our freedoms.
If you are interested in helping Warm Wishes From Home, please contact Sharon at 661-755-8629 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Right Side AD
Ultimate Beauty & Fitness Awards
3rd Ultimate Awards for Beauty & Fitness!
Articles - This Issue
- Celebrating Passages in Time 2012 Celebrity Waiter Dinner/Auction - Cover story
- A Note from The Publishers - February 2012
- Students Off And Running (SOAR) Hosting 2nd Annual Mardi Gras Madness 5K at Bridgeport Marketplace in Santa Clarita
- Celebration of Love, Commitment and Romance HMNMH Foundation's Sweetheart Couple, Bob and Diane Benjamin
- Hundreds Expected to Walk in Support of Children with Cancer The Second Annual Michael Hoefflin Foundation Walk for Kids with Cancer
- News from SCV-Newhall Optimist Club - Feb 2012
- Keeping Our Soldiers Warm
- An Evening of Laughs Santa Clarita Elks Charity Roast
- Dr. Dianne G. Van Hook University Center at COC March 2012 Open House
- In Loving Memory