The New York Times has called Barefoot In The Park “A bubbling, rib-tickling comedy” and the Canyon Theatre Guild’s production promises to keep audiences laughing from beginning to end. This Neil Simon comedy centers on newlyweds Paul and Corie Bratter who move into their new apartment in a five story walk-up building in Greenwich Village. Paul is a straight-arrow lawyer and Corie is a free spirit who wants to keep life spontaneous. The apartment is too expensive, needs paint, has bad plumbing and a leaky skylight.
Corie’s loopy mother pays them an unexpected visit and Corie and Paul decide to play matchmaker during a dinner with their eccentric neighbor-in-the-attic, Victor Velasco, who visits them by climbing through their window. Everything that can go wrong, does. Paul doesn’t understand Corie, and Corie thinks he is too staid, too boring and needs to loosen up and do things like run “barefoot in the park.” It is a comedy of errors and a delightful way to spend a couple of hours.
There will be an opening night champagne reception at 7 p.m. on Friday, March 30 and continues on Friday and Saturday evenings on March 31, April 7, 13, 14, 20, 21, 27, 28. There will be Sunday matinees at 2 p.m. on April 15 and 22.
Running in tandem with “Barefoot” is a sparkling musical adaptation of Anne of Green Gables. This charming production further enhances the enduring story of Anne Shirley, the orphan girl whom Mark Twain called “the most delightful child of fiction since the immortal Alice.” The exciting, melodious score offers great variety from the opening chorus number to the spirited “Charlottetown Rag.” This humorous and heartwarming Anne of Green Gables is the ideal family musical. Performances are at 2 p.m. on Saturdays and Sundays March 31, April 1, 7, 14, 21, 28, 29 and a 6 p.m. performance on Sunday April 22.
Tickets for either show are $12 for juniors and seniors and $15 for adults. The Canyon Theatre Guild is located at 24242 Main Street, in Old Town Newhall. The box office will begin taking reservations from Season Subscribers beginning March 6 and from the general public beginning March 13. Call the box office at 661-799-2702.
Need A Video For Your Business?
Articles - This Issue
- Bringing Kindle Ranch to Life Our Cover Story 1
- Who Will Be This Year’s CYCL State Champion? - Our Cover Story 2
- A Note from The Publishers - March 2012
- August Rising Makes Their Debut at The Staples Center L.A. Kings Live Music Nights
- A Day of Inspiration at COC’s Women’s Conference - Our Cover Story 3
- The REP to Honor Local Vets with WWI Drama Journey’s End
- Child & Family Center's Taste of the Town to Celebrate "Food, Glorious Food," Wine and Ale
- Kicking Off American Cancer Society's Relay For Life
- The Third Annual KHTS Home and Garden Show
- Barefoot In The Park and Anne of Green Gables Bring in the Spring at the CTG