Winter is almost gone and spring is on the horizon. You early birds are dying to get loaded up and start enjoying the RV lifestyle. This month I’m targeting those that tow… trailers and fifth wheels, to be exact.
At the start of a new season of travel, you should give your towable the once-over. All ball hitches should be inspected, tightened and greased. This includes the main ball, catch and locking pin. If it is equipped with a surge brake, the slide should also be greased and the brake fluid checked. Most fifth wheel hitches have a nylon friction plate. If not, then the hitch plate should be lightly greased. The fifth wheel latching dogs need to be inspected and greased, along with the release lever.
If your towed RV is equipped with electrical brakes, there will be a safety switch and lanyard to activate them in case the trailer becomes accidentally separated from the tow vehicle. Check the switch for correct operation and the lanyard for kinks or cuts.
Axle bearings are often overlooked. The bearings should be inspected, and seals replaced, every 30,000 miles or five years, whichever comes first. Trailers that see a lot of water crossings or boat trailers should be checked once a year.
A check of all running, brake lights and turn signals is also in order. Remember to check for corrosion on the trailer connector plug.
In our business, a large percentage of the repairs that we see are directly related to tire blowouts. If your tires are over five years old, you are rolling on borrowed time. Most trailers are always over gross. That means they are loaded beyond the weight that they were designed to carry, and the same goes for the tires. We look at the tread depth on the tires and think we have thousands of miles left, when in reality, the tire sidewalls have been flexed to the max. And how old is your spare tire?
Go through your check list first… then get out and enjoy the RV life!
Final Touch Coach Works is located at 28532 Livingston Avenue in Valencia. For more information, please call 661-775-8375 or visit www.FinalTouch-USA.com.
Need A Video For Your Business?
Articles - This Issue
- Get in the Holiday Spirit at Henry Mayo’s Holiday Home Tour
- Make the Holidays Brighter with the SCV Jaycees 15th Annual Santa’s Helpers Toy Drive
- A Note from The Publishers - December 2013
- Gingerbread House Contest
- Holiday Classic on Stage at the CTG
- JAZZ in the Afternoon, Relax and Enjoy
- Justin Time Children’s House Grief is love, with no place to go.
- Good News and Great Joy For SC Master Chorale’s Holiday Concert
- The Treasured Talent of Santa Clarita Ballet’s Nutcracker
- A Pictures Is Worth a Thousand Words Wedding Photo Contest