Good jobs, even great jobs, are being obtained with consistency but… You have to fight for them. If you are searching for a new career, you’re part of a very large and probably very frustrated group of folks. You’re probably feeling frustrated, angry and perhaps another batch of emotions too nasty to mention. But frustration and anger are not going to fix it. Diligence and good strategy will.
So what are the tips to diligence and good strategy? Well obviously the diligence part is to not give up. Don’t wildly careen around from job fair to Internet site. Really do your homework! Work to carefully know the companies that will most likely hire someone with your skills and abilities. What should you be paid for the talents and knowledge you can bring to the organization? Do the research to know the range of appropriate compensation. But then ascertain very clearly just where and how your abilities fit within an organization.
Search for opportunities with the same strategies any good salesperson would use to promote a good product. Strong salespeople don’t wait for their opportunities to come to them, they go out and get them. They are not passive, they are assertive and diligent.
And that’s how people have been getting great jobs, even in this time of troubled economy. They didn’t wait. They didn’t act desperate. They used diligence and good strategy. Will it work for you, too?
Susan Reynolds is a senior partner at NewMarket Careers in Santa Clarita, a job search, career strategy, executive coaching and resume-writing firm geared toward managerial, executive, and senior level professional careers. She can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org or 661-702-1345. © Susan Reynolds, NewMarket Careers, 2012
Need A Video For Your Business?
Articles - This Issue
- Get in the Holiday Spirit at Henry Mayo’s Holiday Home Tour
- Make the Holidays Brighter with the SCV Jaycees 15th Annual Santa’s Helpers Toy Drive
- A Note from The Publishers - December 2013
- Gingerbread House Contest
- Holiday Classic on Stage at the CTG
- JAZZ in the Afternoon, Relax and Enjoy
- Justin Time Children’s House Grief is love, with no place to go.
- Good News and Great Joy For SC Master Chorale’s Holiday Concert
- The Treasured Talent of Santa Clarita Ballet’s Nutcracker
- A Pictures Is Worth a Thousand Words Wedding Photo Contest