And it truly is a family affair: LeBaron’s daughter, Yvonne Melisande Eadon, is graduating from high school this year and performs with the Chorale as an intern. LeBaron has dedicated the piece to her and the other high school interns, Taylor McClain, Sharyn Leonard and Andrew Penaloza.
LeBaron says she thought of her daughter and the other graduating young people facing all the possibilities of a new life.
“Li Po’s poem, with its grand imagery conveying immensity and timelessness, was a fitting tribute to the milestone of graduating from high school,” the composer says, “facing a life full of rich yet unknown potentials.”
And LeBaron herself is no stranger to stretching across boundaries and dealing with “big” subjects. She has written an opera entitled Wet, about the big business of water and the horrors of flooding, which the Los Angeles Times critic, Mark Swed, hailed as “strong music full of invention” and praised her “fluidity of musical style and musical character.” Also on her eclectic list of credits is a dance opera, Pope Joan, and the work Crescent City, which a critic in the Netherlands praised as a “very enjoyable American mix of jazz, improvisation and operatic passion.”
For LeBaron, composing Waterfall at Lu-Shan was grounded in the tumbled rhythm of the poem’s words, and discovering ways to enhance and magnify that rhythm that would work musically. What you’ll be treated to is an enchanting and atmospheric piece of music that invites you to feel what it must be like to watch the series of mighty falls cascade at this UNESCO World Heritage Site.
In all, the palette of music for this afternoon concert has everything: Broadway favorites and dramatic movie music, classics from Mozart to Holst – and a few more family surprises up its sleeve. So let the Santa Clarita Master Chorale share its gifts of “water music” with you and yours - all you need is a thirst for great entertainment!
The Chorale’s performance home is the Santa Clarita Performing Arts Center at College of the Canyons (COC), 26455 Rockwell Canyon Road in Santa Clarita. For ticket information, call 661-254-8886 or point your browser to: www.scmasterchorale.org.
Click Here To Go To Digital Edition:
Need A Video For Your Business?
Articles - This Issue
- Supporting the Expansion of the Emergency Department
- Taking Steps to Find a Cure – Great Strides Walk – May 9
- A Note from The Publishers - May 2015
- Classic California Pismo Beach
- It’s Time to Bid at Gentlemen for a Cause – May 16
- Get “Back to the Cure” and Help Finish the Fight Against Cancer 2015 Relay For Life of The SCV
- The Domestic Violence Center Hosts Fairy Shelter Breakfast and Auction To Raise Awareness and Funds to Help Families
- Get Your Sweet Tooth Ready! 7th Annual Sweet Charity Cake Auction & Competition
- Winners Announced for 2015 “cArt aRt” Competition Entries Judged and Selected at City’s 2015 Earth Arbor Day Festival
- Lilac Festival in Pine Mountain Club