And it truly is a family affair: LeBaron’s daughter, Yvonne Melisande Eadon, is graduating from high school this year and performs with the Chorale as an intern. LeBaron has dedicated the piece to her and the other high school interns, Taylor McClain, Sharyn Leonard and Andrew Penaloza.
LeBaron says she thought of her daughter and the other graduating young people facing all the possibilities of a new life.
“Li Po’s poem, with its grand imagery conveying immensity and timelessness, was a fitting tribute to the milestone of graduating from high school,” the composer says, “facing a life full of rich yet unknown potentials.”
And LeBaron herself is no stranger to stretching across boundaries and dealing with “big” subjects. She has written an opera entitled Wet, about the big business of water and the horrors of flooding, which the Los Angeles Times critic, Mark Swed, hailed as “strong music full of invention” and praised her “fluidity of musical style and musical character.” Also on her eclectic list of credits is a dance opera, Pope Joan, and the work Crescent City, which a critic in the Netherlands praised as a “very enjoyable American mix of jazz, improvisation and operatic passion.”
For LeBaron, composing Waterfall at Lu-Shan was grounded in the tumbled rhythm of the poem’s words, and discovering ways to enhance and magnify that rhythm that would work musically. What you’ll be treated to is an enchanting and atmospheric piece of music that invites you to feel what it must be like to watch the series of mighty falls cascade at this UNESCO World Heritage Site.
In all, the palette of music for this afternoon concert has everything: Broadway favorites and dramatic movie music, classics from Mozart to Holst – and a few more family surprises up its sleeve. So let the Santa Clarita Master Chorale share its gifts of “water music” with you and yours - all you need is a thirst for great entertainment!
The Chorale’s performance home is the Santa Clarita Performing Arts Center at College of the Canyons (COC), 26455 Rockwell Canyon Road in Santa Clarita. For ticket information, call 661-254-8886 or point your browser to: www.scmasterchorale.org.
Click Here To Go To Digital Edition:
Need A Video For Your Business?
Articles - This Issue
- The Magazine of Santa Clarita Celebrating...25 years
- A Note from The Publishers - Dec 2014
- JCI Santa Clarita… Seeking Support for 16th Santa’s Helpers Toy Drive
- Deck the Halls at the 34th Annual Holiday Home Tour
- Christmas in the Big Apple! - Circle of Hope - December 13
- COC Athletic Department to Host Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony
- Santa Claus Is Coming to Santa Clarita Plaza!
- The SCV Sheriff’s Foundation Needs a Few Good People Nonprofit Board Seeking to Add Local Business Professionals
- The PayForward Ice Rink Is Here! - Westfield Valencia Town Center
- Honoring the Young Men and Women of the Community